Monday, May 19, 2014

One Step At A Time

The walk of discipleship is not always easy.  Often, the Lord will only give you a small piece of the puzzle at a time, or only will let you see one step into the dark.  I suffer from an acute case of pride because I always want to be right.  When it comes to the word of the Lord, I want to make sure that I am doing what God wants me to do, and when I don't know for sure that what I'm doing is right, I have to really push myself to do it.

I recently felt strongly that the Lord wanted me to have an uncomfortable conversation with someone.  I felt good about the position I was taking, but there were risks in having the conversation.  A couple of days before I had to meet with this person, I got down on my knees and asked the Lord to help me know for certain that I was serving Him, that this conversation was what He wanted me to do.

He responded by showing me a sign to know that I was doing His will.  I was grateful for this, but I still didn't know why I was doing it.  And the Lord refused to tell me.  I had the conversation yesterday, and it did not go as well as I would have liked.  But after I had a good night's sleep and pondered the situation for a while, it dawned on me that this unpleasant conversation had indeed led me to my next step, and I could see why the Lord instructed me to do this.  This event led to someone's eyes being opened more widely to truth, and gave me an understanding of some things that will be coming in the future.  It also caused me to realize some things that I need to do to obtain greater blessings from heaven.

We all walk in this life one step at a time.  Sometimes we are given a view of many steps that we will take, or even an end destination.  Other times, we barely get a glimpse of the next step.  And the hardest ones of all are where we are not certain that the step we are supposed to take is even there.  We just trust that it is there.

Our Savior loves us and will help us through these times of trust, if we will just let Him.  I write this to remind myself more than anything else.  If He will give me an obvious sign just at the moment that I need it, He will give you what you need.  Trust Him and only Him.  He is the path, the destination, and the transportation.

1 comment:

  1. I thank you for this. It has been exactly what I have been feeling lately. It is a process, and we go through it step by step. Regardless if we are able to see what the end may be, we can't jump from where we are to the end without taking the proper steps.

    ReplyDelete