Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Baptism of Fire and Confirmation are NOT the Same

A friend started a Facebook thread and mentioned how the concept of baptism of the Spirit has largely been lost in the Church.  One commenter disagreed and said that he saw this concept being taught frequently.  Another commenter stated that the ordinance of confirmation and the baptism of the spirit, or baptism of fire, were one and the same.  Such thinking breaks my heart.

I don't care what the gospel doctrine manual says.  The baptism of fire and confirmation are absolutely not the same thing.  All ordinances performed by men are types and shadows of things of the spirit.  Baptism and the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost together are a type and shadow of the baptism of fire. The two may coincide, but more frequently they are distinct and separate, often happening years or even decades apart.  I bear testimony of this from my own experience.

The baptism of fire is not a process.  It is a definable event, just like the baptism of water is a definable event.  When it happens to you, you know it.  You may not know what it is called, but you know that SOMETHING has happened.  It is powerful, joyous, wonderful.  It is more spiritual and more perfect than anything man can do.  It is indescribable in words.  No man can administer such a great gift.  Men can only offer an invitation or a type and shadow of this blessed event.

Alma the younger describes this event very nicely - Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy. (Alma 36:21)

It is so disheartening to hear members of what is supposed to be the true Church of Jesus Christ not understand this, and when it is taught to them, they don't believe it.  I testified to the commenters about my own experience and they completely rejected it.  But no matter.  I know that what I say is true.  The baptism of fire and confirmation are not the same.  For those who have not experienced the baptism of fire, I tell you that if I can have it, you can, because you are most certainly more deserving and less sinful than I was.

I testify again of the love of Jesus Christ.  He can and will baptize you with fire, and then you will have the fullness of the gift of the Holy Ghost, which will enable you to go on and obtain all the blessings of eternal life, if you follow the pathway marked out in the scriptures.  The Lord is willing to take your sins upon His back, and you can know for yourself that your garments are spotless before Him.  Please don't be satisfied with a type and shadow.  Please, I beg all of you, don't be satisfied with the offerings of men, but instead look to Him and receive what He will give.  It is so much greater than you can imagine.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. After sitting through a lesson in Elder's Quorum about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, where no one seemed to really understand it, my Bishop asked me to give a talk in Sacrament meeting. So, I took advantage of the opportunity.

    Here is the talk I gave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Daren! That is a fantastic talk.

    I have given lessons in Elders Quorum and born my testimony of my baptism of fire a few times. From the comments I have received, it seems that few, if any, have understood what I have taught. But I KNOW, using the word properly and not in the traditional LDS usage, that what I taught was true. There is a difference between the ordinance of confirmation and the baptism of fire. Thank you for your testimony.

    ReplyDelete